Tyler Public Library was begun in 1941 through the efforts of two study clubs and many donations from a variety of local clubs and auxiliaries. The first meeting was held at the Tyler school. The initial donations included shelving and a table and chairs, as well as 50 books donated by the Danish Young People’s Society.
The library was initially located in the lobby of the locker plant. From 1941 – 1943 T.H. Jerback served as temporary librarian, with the assistance of W.P.A., for three years. In March, 1943, the Tyler Commercial Club donated $50, with the contingency that a permanent library would be established. In March 1943, Harold Peterson contacted the State Library Board of Minnesota to inquire about a constitution and bylaws. In November of 1943, Tyler Library was incorporated as a municipal library with a paid librarian.
The library, with the village offices, moved to West Main Street in 1965. They remained there until December 1978, when the municipal offices were moved to the vacated R.E.A. building.
The first librarian was paid $15 per month. The first library budget, to be supported by various civic organizations, was set at $400 per year. In 1945, the library housed 839 books, most of which had been donated.
Today, the library operates on a budget of more than $75,000, with the majority supported by the City of Tyler and a sizeable portion provided by Lincoln County. The Tyler Public Library collection includes nearly 11,000 items, including books, cake pans, DVDs and some digital devices.
Tyler Public Library is a member of the Plum Creek Regional Library System, which includes a total of 26 libraries. There are more than 800,000 items available in the Plum Creek System for checking out. Plum Creek is a member of the MnLink system, which allows our library patrons access to more than 28,000,000 items across the state of Minnesota.